Friday, May 1, 2009

Post trip artwork

Phew! Now I'm back in NYC I got to finish up some drawings I didn't have time to while on the road. These drawings return back to my internal subject matter than drawing surroundings. (Please click on image to see the full size!)

I've had this image in my head for WEEKS and finally got to dump it out on paper. It's about how independence and loneliness seem to come hand in hand...well, at least that's how it feels to me. It's hard to find a balance.

I started this drawing by literally spitting whiskey on a blank piece of paper, then drawing on top of it. So I did sorta vomit it out. It's about bottling up thoughts and feelings for WEEKS without an outlet. ("Outlet" for me meaning my normal art-therapy drawings and people who I can be totally open with.) I love the acidic green color...and yes, after I threw this up I did feel a lot better.

This is airport hell. It only takes a couple hours to fly from Lisbon to Edinburgh but due to a canceled flight and an unexpected detour through Frankfurt, I spent 16 hours in various airports! And it was just an endless series of waiting in lines. You think you're done, but no...there's another line. Arrrgg!! (Notice how the figures evolve as they go though...) When I drew this out, I realized the people look like ants. Yup, that's what we felt like.

No comments:

Post a Comment